Seguici su Facebook Seguici su Instagram

BLOG

What is vitamin D and why is it so important?


Share this post!

The vitamin D that is inside our body is actually a hormone, not a vitamin. When our body receives vitamin D (from sunlight, food or supplements), it transforms it into a hormone called, precisely, Vitamin D or activated calcitriol. The body produces about 90% of the vitamin D it needs. However, this only happens when the skin receives enough direct sunlight. The other 10% of vitamin D intake comes from foods rich in this vitamin. If you do not get a lot of sunlight or if you are often covered, you need to take a quality vitamin D supplement.

How the sunlight gives us vitamin D

When we expose our skin to sunlight, our body produces a substance called colecalciferol. This is then transformed into calcidiol and then calcitriol from the liver and kidneys. Calcitriol (the active form of vitamin D) is measured to quantify vitamin D levels. There are three ways to get sufficient amounts of vitamin D: from food sources, from a good vitamin D supplement and from skin exposur in sunlight. During the sunny months, our body stock up with calcidiol. What is not used immediately, is stored in body fat as "escort" for gray winter days. Experts think it takes only 10 minutes of sunlight a day to avoid vitamin D deficiency.

Vitamin D2 and D3

The most important forms of vitamin D for the human body are D3 and, to a lesser extent, D2. To ensure a correct intake of vitamins D2 and D3, choose a quality vitamin supplement and eat foods rich in vitamin D3, such as: all fish oils (cod liver oil, in particular), fish (herring, eel , swordfish, mackerel, salmon, tuna, trout, seafood), egg yolk, milk, butter and soy products, whole grains and rice.

What vitamin D actually does to our body

Vitamin D is important for a huge number of functions in the body, from supporting strong and healthy bones to maintaining the immune system. Most of your body's vitamin D comes from sunlight. For many people, this is not possible, which is why the new government guidelines recommend a daily vitamin D3 supplement. It has also been shown to support the immune system. So, taking vitamin D during the winter months, can be a great help to reinforce, in fact, the immune system.

What happens when you take vitamin D3?

When taking a vitamin D supplement, the vitamin passes from the bloodstream to the liver. From here, it goes to the kidneys where it turns into calcitriol. It is then released back into the bloodstream and enters the cells of our body where it attaches to the vitamin D receptors. At the bone level, vitamin D helps to absorb and store calcium in skeletal tissue and also regulates the cells that build and maintain the bones. . At the renal level, vitamin D helps to recycle calcium in the kidneys so that the bones can reabsorb it. If this did not happen, most of vitamin D would be expelled through urination. Vitamin D also arrives in the intestine where it helps our body absorb calcium. Supports your diet and lifestyle with a daily quality vitamin D3 supplement that can be absorbed and digested by your body.

What are the benefits of taking vitamin D?

With so many factors that put us at risk for low levels of vitamin D, it makes sense to understand the ways to integrate it. Some foods are fortified with vitamin D, although you need to be sure it's vitamin D3 and not just vitamin D2. Cod liver oil is a good source of vitamin D supplementation (but it is not a good choice for vegans). A quality vitamin D3 or a broad-spectrum vitamin D supplement is a sensible way to maintain the recommended daily level. The most useful aspect, when taking a quality supplement, is tranquility. In fact, with only one tablet a day, the daily intake of an average adult daily requirement (NRV) is guaranteed. With vitamin D, you will protect bone health by supporting your immune system and helping your body build and maintain cells. That's why vitamin D is one of the most important supplements you can take!


The advice is for information only and should not replace medical assistance. Please consult a doctor or health care professional before trying any remedies.